Lavage Preparation – Afternoon Procedure
Lavage (Go-Lyte, Nu-Lyte, Gavi-Lyte) Preparation for a Colonoscopy (Afternoon Procedure)
In order to achieve an accurate evaluation of your lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract, it is important that you properly prepare for the procedure. Doctors are able to obtain the clearest view of the bowel when it is flushed completely free of waste material. The thoroughness of this intestinal cleaning depends on you. Without your cooperation, the examination cannot accomplish its purpose and may have to be repeated.
If you are taking anticoagulants or blood thinners such as, but not limited to, Coumadin (warfarin), Plavix (clopidogrel), Persantine, Aggrenox, Effient, Pradaxa, Xarelto or Eliquis, please discuss this with your Health Care Provider. In most circumstances, these medications are temporarily discontinued prior to your procedure.
If you have questions or you need to reschedule or cancel your procedure, please call (717) 761-0930.
- 10-ounce bottle of refrigerated Magnesium Citrate. You may purchase this over the counter at a grocery or drug store. It tastes better chilled, so we would suggest refrigerating it.
- Lavage solution – Prescription sent to your local pharmacy.
- Crystal Lite flavor pack (optional).
5 Days Before Procedure
- Do not take any ibuprofen products (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories – NSAIDS). Tylenol (acetaminophen) is allowed. If you are on aspirin you may continue the aspirin.
- Do not take oral iron tablets.
- Do not consume any foods that contain seeds or nuts. These foods take longer to pass through the bowel and should be avoided.
2 Days Before Procedure
- You may eat a regular diet.
- Drink the 10-ounce bottle of Magnesium Citrate at 7:00 p.m. We suggest drinking this solution chilled or on ice.
The Day Before Procedure
- You will need to follow a clear liquid diet the entire day before your procedure. We ask that you avoid dark colored clear liquids (red, purple, or dark blue). NO milk products, NO vegetables, NO breads or grains, NO meats and NO fats or oils are allowed. By rule of thumb, a clear liquid is one that can be seen through. Some examples include clear juices without pulp, clear soda, chicken or beef broth, popsicles, Jell-O, Italian ice, tea, coffee, clear hard candy, etc. If you are diabetic, drink regular (non-diet) liquids in moderation throughout the day.
- Mix 1 gallon of lavage solution according to the directions on the label. You may add enough Crystal Lite to flavor one gallon as long as it has a lemonade or citrus flavoring. Do not add any pink or red colored flavorings to the solution. Refrigerate.
On the Day of the Procedure
- Do not have anything to eat.
- At 6:00 a.m., take any currently prescribed heart and blood pressure medications (except for blood thinners, as detailed above) with a sip of water.
- If you are diabetic: Do not take your diabetic medications (pills or insulin) the morning of your procedure. If you normally monitor your blood sugars at home, please check your blood sugar the morning of your procedure. If your blood sugar is over 150 or below 90, please contact the West Shore Endoscopy Center at (717) 975-2430. An anesthesia specialist will provide you with further instructions.
- At 6:00 a.m., begin drinking the prep solution. Drink an 8 ounce glass every 10 to 15 minutes. It is best to drink the whole glass rapidly rather than sipping small amounts continuously. Drink the solution until your bowel movements are clear (like water) or pale yellow (like urine). The amount of liquid required to accomplish this is different for every patient, but we recommend drinking the entire solution. Bowel movements should occur about one hour after the final glass. NOTE: It is normal to feel very “full” or “bloated” during your prep. Some people may also experience nausea and vomiting. If this occurs, simply wait about 30 minutes before resuming drinking. This will likely disappear once bowel movements begin. If the vomiting resumes, please call our office. If your bowel movements are not clear or pale yellow after drinking the entire solution, please call our office at (717) 761-0930.
- Once your bowel movements are clear or pale yellow, you may stop drinking the solution. This preparation must be completed by 8:00 a.m.
- You may drink clear liquids until 4 hours before your procedure. Stop drinking clear liquids at ____. No chewing gum, hard candy or chewing tobacco should be consumed at least 4 hours before your appointment.
- Please report to your appointment as scheduled. NOTE: Plan to be at the procedure center for about two to two and one-half hours.
- A driver must come with you in order to drive you home after the procedure. You will be sedated for your colonoscopy. You may not drive or work for 12 hours after the procedure. For later afternoon procedures, drivers must be present no later than 4:00 p.m. The West Shore Endoscopy Center closes at 4:00 p.m.